A Vibrant City
Palm Springs has it all
October 11, 2016
Hiking is a very popular outdoor activity in Palm Springs. Whether it is hiking through one of the many canyons formed by the San Jacinto mountains or a simple trail along the side of the mountain, there is a hiking trail for every skill level. Hiking in Palm Springs offers spectacular vistas, natural waterfalls and streams, and unique rock formations along the mountain and canyons. Now is the perfect time to enjoy the more temperate desert air and soak in the natural beauty of the Coachella Valley.
A favorite hiking trail for locals and visitors alike is the South Lykken Trail. Located in south Palm Springs, there are two trail-heads, the north trail-head is at the end of West Mesquite Road, and the south trail-head is on South Palm Canyon Road about 250 feet after Canyon Heights Road. The South Lykken Trail is about seven miles long with a 1,000 foot gain and takes approximately four hours to complete at a leisurely pace. The South Lykken Trail is an out & back trail which is easy at the start then inclines at 0.5 miles followed by switchbacks for the remainder of the trail. If you’d like to get some good exercise, the trail is runnable. The hiking and parking are free of cost.
The hike culminates at a rest area with picnic tables providing panoramic views of Palm Springs. You have an opportunity to see the Tahquitz Waterfalls when you look up the canyon if there is any water flowing. You’ll also see the windmill farms doing their job on the north side of Palm Springs. Hikers have observed big horn sheep while on the South Lykken Trail.
Here are a few pointers for anyone who is hiking in the Palm Springs area:
1. Always hike with a partner or group. Let others know when you expect to return.
2. You cannot bring too much water. Bring as much water as you can carry but at least one liter for each hour of hiking. When you reach the halfway point of your water, turn around & return to the trail-head.
3. Protection from the sun is essential. A hat, sunglasses, protective clothing and hiking boots are all essential as well as sunscreen.
4. Take a map of the trail and stay on it. We can print one out for you if you are staying at POSH Palm Springs Inn. Take note of your surroundings as you are hiking for the trip back.
5. You may encounter rattlesnakes while hiking. Be aware of where you place your hands and feet. Rattlesnakes are most active in warm weather.
The South Lykken Trail is just one of several great hiking adventures you’ll find in the Palm Springs area. Check out our other blog posts on the Coachella Valley Preserve, Majestic Canyons in Palm Springs, and the Best Oasis in Palm Springs for other great ways to spend your time outdoors in the Coachella Valley. Make POSH Palm Springs Inn your home base for all your adventures and enjoy some time in our hot tub soothing those sore muscles. Be certain to check out our current special deals and reserve your room now!
Photo Credit: Luke Pamer, Unsplash.com